Interview

I interviewed a family friend who is a 4th grade teacher at Tarver Elementary School.

Question: What do you like best about being a teacher?
Answer: The thing I like best about being a teacher is when I see a kid “get it.” Whatever the “it” may be. I love it when I hear kids explaining something to another kid and showing that they really understand.

Question: If you could live anywhere, were would it be?
Answer: I actually love living where I do BUT, I also think it would be very cool to live in NYC or Washington DC or San Francisco or Seattle or all of those places for about a year each. I would really like to have a motor home and just travel, travel, travel. Obviously, I would have LOTS of $$$ in this scenario!

Question: Why did you want to become a teacher?
Answer: Originally, I wanted to be a school librarian- mostly because I love reading aloud to kids. In order to become a Library Media Specialist, as they are now called, you must first get a teaching certificate and teach for at least one year. But once I got my own classroom, I decided I would much rather teach than be a librarian. I like having my own classroom

Question:Did you always want to be a teacher? If no, what other job did you want?
Answer: I actually did have another job in the airline industry for many years and I probably would have stayed there if not for 911. Although, even before 911, I was toying with the idea of becoming a teacher. I used to volunteer in Amelia’s classrooms and I started thinking, “I could do that. I could really do that!”If I could do another job, I would be a writer, or a rock star, or a news reporter, or queen of the universe 🙂

Question:If you could change anything about your job, what would it be?
Answer: The administration. I have way too many people, who don’t know how to do my job, whose job it is to tell me how to do my job. Very annoying! Also, I think school would be much better for students if we limited class size to about 20 students per classroom.